Friday, April 30, 2010

Food labelling


I don't mind the occasional takeaway, but sometimes when I peel back that plastic lid, I wonder what I've gotten myself in for. Yes there are regulations as to what can and can't be included in food, but honestly, the number of colourings, flavourings, preservatives and nasty oils that must be thrown in to boost the longevity and 'flavour' sometimes scare me.

So I'm loving the major food labelling review being undertaken by the government at the mo. Go Kevin 07! They're looking at actually labelling ingredients and nutritional information on all restaurant and take-away foods. Information is key to health, so I can only imagine the incredible impact this will have... not only on what's added to food, but how conscious consumers then shop. They're also considering labelling all GM foods and country of origin on packaged/tinned food. Aren't we sick of "Australian owned" labelling where half the ingredients are imported from who-knows-where? Fingers crossed they make the smart choices so we can be informed on all accounts.

Truth, however disenchanting, is better than falsehood, however comforting. Schweitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment