Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The naked cake


I'm pro-cake. I mean, what's not to love about sponge, fruit, chocolate, icing, cream and sauce? If I feel like cake, which thankfully isn't every day, I'll indulge. No guilt attached. But if I can't be bothered making it myself, I'll make sure I buy it from somewhere or someone that knows good ingredients. Natural ingredients - butter, eggs, flour, etc - make a natural cake. Unnatural ingredients - colouring, flavouring, preservatives, hydrogenated oils, etc - make a fake cake. Do not want.

I was wandering the aisles of the supermarket the other day and I saw a range of icing in a can which comes out looking like coloured whipped cream. Seems like a fun idea for kids parties. So I looked at the ingredients list and almost had a coronary: not a single natural ingredient on the list. No dairy, no eggs, just processed oils, sugar and a whole bunch of numbers. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was. I still expect better. HOW is this stuff legal? Because people don't die immediately from the shock of eating something so industrial, it takes a few more years...?? It was a shocking reminder to stick to whole foods and ingredients, even when pigging out on a naughty something, especially where kids are concerned. Pass the brownie, baby!

1 comment: