Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Small poppet, major passion


You know, when I was 16 I didn't know about adventure. I had a few hobbies which I attempted lazily to keep going after high school, but to no avail. I had passion, but only in spurts; direction but only for a time. And although boats aren't my thing (though I love to sail... in easy waters... with a pro in yelling distance) I wish I had had half the passion and courage of Jessica Watson in my teens.

I'm still coming to terms with what this 16 year old Aussie did. She sailed solo around the world... non-stop and unassisted. That's 210 days in a tiny boat (not the one pictured, obviously) with crazy weather, no shower, no physical human contact but she did it all with such adventure, such a positive attitude and sailed home last weekend to lots of hugs and burritos. She turns 17 today and I'm so thrilled at what she's done for a generation hooked permanently up to their phones and puters and bad hair and diets. Love it.

Here's an excerpt from her blog:

Some time way back in the Atlantic, I remember I wrote about all the things I missed about home. So I thought I'd make a list of some of the things I'm going to miss out here. The first thing is pretty obvious, I'm going to miss getting up and going sailing every day! I'm going to miss being out of range of my annoying brother! I'm going to miss doing things at my own pace and singing at the top of my voice without clearing the room.

I'm going to miss the kick I get from overcoming challenges by myself, flying along in the dark. A new sunset every night and the time I always take to watch it. I'm going to miss watching the waves and sea. I know it's
been nearly 7 months and I'm still not bored by it. The tumbling white tops when it's windy and the glassy reflections when it's not. I'm going to miss seeing Albatross circle around Ella's Pink Lady and beanie days for when finding a hair brush is just too much trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment