Thursday, December 17, 2009

Golden oldies


I've had quite an active week away, and this morning when we were out for a long bushwalk I looked at my healthier than anything in-laws and wondered, not for the first time, what their secret is. In their 70's, they have shiny, healthy skin, glowing eyes, strong bodies and a quicker mind than me when I'm not careful. Plus they've been married for 50 years and I for 5. After knowing them almost 10 years I've whittled down their amazing lifestyle to five things...

* they have a brilliant sense of humour; there's many a giggle, joke, wink and belly laugh, the mood is never serious for too long. They've lived (and fought) through war, lost siblings, endured terrible things and yet they never wallow or moan about their lot.
* they like new things. Some Dutchies need new things to such an extent it takes over their lives. But my Dutch outlaws like keeping up - not obsessing - with the latest ideas in any area - food, interior, lifestyle, art, fashion - as it bring fresh chapters and ideas to their lives.
* good food is a lifestyle. They never eat fatty foods, avoid too much alcohol or sugar and take a multi-vitamin if they need one. They'll also try (just about) anything once, and I love that attitude!
* every day includes a walk. And I don't mean a wander around the local lake (where I took the pic above). They hike up hills and trek through bush for two hours at a time, preferably.
* they still earn pocket money. Mum paints and shows her art in exhibitions while Dad puts up a shed in half the time a man half his age could... (I mean that literally, you should see his hands).

So it's been a beautiful week. Lots of adventures with hubby and keeping up with an inspiring couple over twice my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment