Monday, December 28, 2009

Nature's pick-me-up


I'm feeling a bit sluggish today. The weather's terrible so I can't go for a swim or jog and my diet, although not disastrous, has been a bit on the naughty side of nice. So as of this morning I'm doing the lemon juice and tepid water thing, just to see if it makes a difference. I have a friend who replaced all tea and coffee with lemon water and swears by it, so here goes. And as usual, I've researched a few benefits. I was surprised with what I found...

* flushes out toxins from body = more energy, glowing skin and eyes
* lemons help alkalize your body (better than an acidic body which leads to health problems)
* it reduces bad breath, nausea, constipation and aids digestion
* the vitamin C content protects against infections and allergies
* potassium benefits brain and nerve functions
* calcium for strong, lasting bones and teeth
* magnesium assists with asthma and heartburn

Don't microwave it to make it juicier, you'll only zap out all the nutrients and make yourself sick. Instead, roll room-temp lemons on the kitchen counter with your hand to help get the juice flowing.
Leftover halves are a brilliant cleaning tool: shake some bi-carb inside the lemon half and use to clean the shower, tiles, bath and sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment