Monday, December 14, 2009

Sand between my toes


I'm on holidays with my hubby and the outlaws (and the crazy staffie who never wants to leave), but nope, not here to brag. Not really. Though it's hard not to when there's 32 private steps onto a gorgeous beach where dolphins play at dusk. Sorry, I didn't mean to put that bit in. I mean, the water's glorious and all that, but... where was I?

Oh yes, that's right. Something interesting about wellness for those gorgeous peeps who follow my blog. Well, I tried jogging on the beach last night but honestly was so puffed after seven metres that I stopped. Ok, it was three. I walked the rest and back at a leisurely-ish pace and didn't feel any more tired than a normal walk, but I wondered if walking on the shore is better for legs than strolling on grass.

Well I'm glad I asked, because as it turns out, it is. Navigating sand with your feet works muscles and tendons harder, and get this, walking in sand requires about 2.5 times more energy than walking on the ground while jogging in sand uses about 1.5 times more energy than jogging elsewhere. You'll also burn more calories, about 50% more of 'em. Lovely. And then there's the view... dolphins, waves, sunsets and all. Just don't work it too hard or you might suffer from shin splints. I know I won't...

No comments:

Post a Comment