Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hug it out


I'm a big hugger. And I don't mean gimme an Oprah faux-hug, I mean a real I-missed-you-so-much hug. Aren't they the greatest? There's been a lot of research lately on physical contact, currently the NY Times has a brilliant article that I'm going to summarize for you (because you're busy, not because you're incapable amigos):

* Dacher Keltner, a professor of psychology at the Uni of California, Berkley, hits the nail when he says "[Physical contact] is the first language we learn and remains our richest means of emotional expression”

Studies have found...

* Students who received a supportive touch on the back or arm from a teacher were nearly twice as likely to volunteer in class as those who did not
* A sympathetic touch from a doctor leaves people with the impression that the visit lasted twice as long, compared with estimates from people who were untouched
* A massage from a loved one can not only ease pain but also soothe depression and strengthen a relationship
* Couples who touch more report more satisfaction in the relationship
* The best American basketball teams are the touchiest... and their top players are big fans of high-fives, slaps, bumps and hugs

But I still don't like the free hugs people in the city. They weird me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment