Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chookie cure all


It's getting cold. And people are getting sick. Not a fun time of year if you're in bed or just bunged up. Hubby hasn't been well since Sunday, so I did the only thing I know how to do. I didn't fetch antibiotics, or a spray, or pills because I don't think they're necessary much. But I did fetch a chicken. And noodles. And I put some things together and made a heavenly chicken noodle soup. Cures all.

In a big pot, fry up plenty of garlic and onion in oil until transparent. Chuck in diced carrot, thyme, two big chunks of lemon zest, a bay leaf and seasoning. After a few minutes pop in your whole organic chook, brown just a little top and bottom, then fill pot with water until chook is covered. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 1.5-2 hours, or until chook is cooked. Remove chicken, shred meat into small pieces, discard bones. Strain broth, discard carrots and friends, pop broth back on a simmer, add noodles, when they're almost cooked add chicken meat. Season if it needs it, serve with fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment