Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Crack the code


There I was yesterday arvo, happy as anything, curled up on the couch with a magazine and a plate of snacks. Once I'd devoured my cheese, rye bickies, pickles and olives, I started to feel a bit edgy. I couldn't sit still, my mouth was dry and I found myself in one helluva bad mood. I couldn't concentrate on the mag in hand so I turned the TV on and distracted myself with those curious Desperate Housewives. Later, when making dinner, I snuck a peek at the olive jar... sure enough, there it was, loud and clear... 621.

I just learned last week that Twisties have MSG/621 in their ingredients, for real, but Always Fresh green olives stuffed with anchovies? Really? WHY? No wonder my lips were numb and my headache was a tingly, horrid mess. Yuck.

Monosodium glutamate is a chemical additive, otherwise known as a flavour enhancer, that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. Scientists and food authorities (in all their wisdom) might be approving its use all over the world as they claim there's no solid link with ill health, but I'm not convinced. No way.

MSG side effects include
rashes, itching, burning, numbness, chest tightness, heart palpitations, heart arrhythmia, anxiety, irritability, restlessness, sleep disturbance, seizures, brain cell and damage, allergies, asthma attacks, headaches, migrains and possibly brain tumours.

So keep your eyes out peepsies, and not just for 621. Definitely avoid anything in the 600s, but preferably stay away from all numbers, flavours, colouring and preservatives. If you don't know what it is, someone made it up. If someone made it up, they probably messed with nature. Do not want.

No comments:

Post a Comment