Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bring back the five second rule


People rarely bore me, I learnt early on that just about everyone has something to teach you if you let them. That's probably a good trait for a journo, as I imagine falling asleep during an interview isn't how one gets ahead... if you get me. One day a few moons ago I was interviewing a cleaner for an eco-home story. She scared the living cripes out of me when she told me how quickly our feet absorb chemicals used around the home. I tentatively asked her about a certain powder cleaner I used on my floors (blue and white and popular all over), she said it was one of the worst brands to clean with. Sheesh.

The following weekend I had a clean out of the cleaning cupboard. I rid the house of most of its chemicals in one swoop and then searched for the best possible eco, human and pet-friendly products. Thinking about doing the same? Here's a few reasons why it's worth it:

* Pets and children lick floors. Fact. Whatever you clean your floors with WILL end up in their stomachs no matter how thoroughly you rinse or wipe after.
* The warm water in your shower open the pores in your feet, face and everywhere else. It also picks up the chemicals you cleaned your shower with a delivers them straight into these pores and then into your bloodstream. Nasty much?
* The earth deserves better.
* Bleach colours dirt, it doesn't clean it. Also, the particles in bleach can cause reproductive, endocrine and immune system disorders.
* Allergies and skin conditions are caused or aggravated by being in constant contact with chemicals.
* Baking soda, white vinegar and lemons can clean almost every surface in your home. And they're so cheap they offset all the other fancy eco stuff you buy.

Shopping here is more fun than making your family sick, non?
Murchison-Hume, B_E_E & Eco Store

Just remember chemical cleaners don't do good things at landfill, so contact your local council for their recommendations on disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment