Friday, November 13, 2009

Lily of the crazy


Unexpected acts of kindness are the pinnacle of serendipity to me. Even a simple smile from a stranger can snap me out of a sulky mood. Flowers are the ultimate, especially the ones for no reason at all. But if it's reason you're after, dear readers, it's reason I'll give you. In Elspeth Thompson's The Wonderful Weekend Book she lists a few dozen flowers and the meaning behind them. Here are my faves:

Sweet pea: gratitude
White roses: you're divine
Peony: bashfulness
Dahlia: you are indifferent
Hyacinth: please forgive me
Orchid: you have cast a spell over me
Magnolia: have courage
Camelia: I am longing for you
Narcissus: you are selfish

Who knew flowers could be so brusque? Anyhoo, I'll be heading to the markets this Sunday to pick up a bunch of bright blooms to liven up my home (and someone else's) with their heady scents and crazy personalities. I recommend you do the same, and grab an extra bunch for your mum, a friend or lover... just because.

2 comments: