Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sweet potato and sourdough



It's taken me a year of gastronomic introspection, but I now know exactly what irks my stomach. I rarely touch brown rice, white bread, potatoes, normal pasta and processed/packaged goods. These foods don't make me feel my best, and I believe we should only eat what makes us feel as good as we possibly can. That's what food is for, oui? While food allergies are thankfully rare, wheat intolerance affects about one in seven peeps, dairy intolerance affects three in four and sugar sensitivity affects one in three. Yikes!

Sourdough bread, spelt pasta, sweet potato, longrain rice and green lentils are my favourites. I stick to small amounts of dairy (organic full-fat milk and natural yoghurt) and tiny amounts of sugar (in my tea and my dark chocolate bars). But what works for moi rarely works for the next. So the next time you feel bloated, fatigued, in pain or otherwise unwell following a meal, ask yourself what the cause might have been. The bread? Pasta? Dairy? MSG or artificial flavours? Sugar? Keep a diary and the pieces will usually fall into place.

For those who are really unsure, I'd suggest seeing a holistic Naturopath to get some help. Check out the Natural Therapy Pages for a practitioner in your area. If you live in sunny Sydney, I'd highly recommend popping along to the Irresistible Gluten Free Food Show this weekend. I'm looking forward to the show and learning more about wheat sensitivities and how it affects people so differently. Information is key to understanding your body and living the happiest, most energetic life you can. See you there ravers x

No comments:

Post a Comment