Thursday, November 19, 2009

Run baby run


Too busy to chill out? Diary a bit too packed? Book yourself in for a massage (mobile OFF thank you) and you'll be better in the short and long term. Add a bit of exercise and you've got a good thing going on, busy or not, there's no excuse peepsies. Stress has been linked to just about every disease, disorder and bug because it reduces the immune system to function at its best, so now doctors have even been known to recommend meditation. Gasp! (In fact my excellent doc I had a few years ago did such a thing and I've been practicing ever since.)

Scientists at Princeton University recently discovered rats in the lab develop calm brain cells while running. For real! I find this so interesting because we know that exercise improves our mood, but now we're beginning to see that a jog or swim can create calm as well as happy hormones. Sounds like a win-win to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment