Monday, January 11, 2010

A slice of cosy and a cup of tea


Oh banana bread, contentment on a plate. I had a few super ripe bananas bringing in the fruit flies last week and a spare 20 minutes. I looked up banana bread in one of my fave recipe books - Wholefood by Jude Blereau - and made my own version from it. You really can't mess this up. I promise. No whisking! Nothing tricky! Plus there's no sugar. (I understand if this statement leaves your wary... often it means there's loads of artificial sweeteners which are hideous and mess you up, but never fear my little pastry chefs, no such ingredient will ever enter my kitchen).

Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a loaf tin with butter. Place 270g wholemeal flour in a sieve with 2 tspns baking powder, sift into a large bowl and add 1 tspn cinnamon, 1/2 tspn ground nutmeg, 60g roughly chopped walnuts and 60g chopped, pitted dates (or handful of sultanas). Mix well. Add 2 lge or 3 sml bananas, mashed with a fork, 70g melted unsalted butter, 125g yoghurt and 125ml (full fat) milk. Mix through. If it looks dry and lumpy, add a splash more milk. Place mixture in the tin and top with slices of banana (optional). Bake for an hour, or until golden and cooked in the centre. Leave to cool for 15 mins then turn on a rack. Eat within 3 days (try and stop me).

Toast lightly or eat as is, top with a little butter or fresh ricotta and strawberries. Yummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment