Thursday, February 18, 2010

Soup ala florettes


We receive a weekly delivery of organic fruit, veg and meat every Wednesday. Last week I somehow ordered too many broccoli (1kg instead of 1pc) and as I only like broccoli in small doses, I was a bit put off. But then: genius. Let's make broccoli soup! So I did, and I must say it was as delicious warm and fresh with parmesan toasts as it was cold the next day. And for me to compliment a leftover is a big thing. Here it is groovers:

In a medium pot, saute half a diced brown onion, three chopped garlic gloves and the roughly chopped broccoli stalks of 3-4 bunches in a splash of oil and 30g butter (you need it for the flavour, trust me) for about five mins. When onion looks clear-ish (do not let the onion burn, this will ruin the soup), add 500ml vegetable stock and 200ml water. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and throw in broccoli florettes and tspn of grated lemon rind (you could also throw in a bunch of frozen peas right about now). Let it bubble gently for five-ten mins (prick the stalks with a knife to see if they're soft enough), remove from heat onto a board and whip out your hand held blender and get to work (if you don't have one, blend soup in batches in a blender). Once it's smooth, add plenty of sea salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve and top with a flick of evo. Enjoy!

Re: Cold. I feel amazing today! Hurrah for plan! However I skipped the chilli dinner and had pizza instead. Mmmm pizza. But you'll be happy to know the pizza base was made from organic, bio-dynamic stone ground whole wheat flour. No guilt! No bloating! Thanks for being ace Basil Pizza. They also do vegan pizzas and lush pastas.

No comments:

Post a Comment