Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Deliciously good news


I love fat. I only every have full-fat milk, yoghurt, cheese and meat in my fridge (yes I trim the meat, thanks for asking) and I drizzle extra virgin olive oil all over my meals with real sea salt and I'm no stranger to real butter. Not only does food taste better that way, it's better for me. For my bones, organs, blood vessels, brain, muscles, skin, hair, nails and even my memory and mood. Oh and since I cut out processed crap, booze and sugar a few months ago I've lost 7kg... that's right, good fat doesn't make you fat.

The University of Navarra in Pamplona, Spain, has been keeping an eye on more than 10,000 Spanish peeps over the last four years to see how their diet affects levels of depression. They don't tell anyone what to eat, they simply have them fill in a questionnaire and score them accordingly. Those who eat a mostly Mediterranean diet (chockas full of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, olive oil and fish) rate highly, while those on the lower end stick to an Americano diet (I made up that name but you get the drift - nasty fats and not so many vegies). Over time, those with consistently high scores have a much less chance of experiencing depression, specifically, 42-51% less. And that's a big deal.

Some people steer clear of fat altogether, but the right fat is absolutely necessary for a healthy mind and body. The 70 trillion cells in your body would agree - each of them are surrounded by good fats, necessary for sending nerve signals and defending you from disease. Good fats include organic butter, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, unprocessed nut oils, extra virgin coconut oil and fish. Sift through the facts from the clever marketing on the internet and you'll see these fats are literally life savers.

Now go forth and fatten up x

No comments:

Post a Comment