Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Stretch me happy



As a little pig-tailed Frankie, I was never a fan of brussel sprouts. Oh noes. Bet you're hardly surprised. One day a few years ago, after much encouragement from a foodie friend, I sliced a few in half and pan fried them with pancetta and pine nuts, served with a drizzle of almond oil. Now I'm head of the fan club.

The fitness equivalent for me is squats. The thought of doing a few lunges and squats as a part of my 'fitness routine' (aka 'walking the dog') sent a cold chill through me. But then someone taught me how to do them perfectly (Nick at the-sanctuary.com.au) and now I luurve them. Oh yes. And the benefits are huge: they work all the major muscle groups, burn calories, tone the bum, relieve pain and strengthen the back, look after the heart and lungs and improve circulation. Cranking up your circulation is so important to get rid of toxins and bloating, plus it clears a muddy head (and the rest).

Try 10-20 breathing squats and see the difference in how you feel (you shouldn't feel any pain but if you do, stop and see a pro who can show you how they're done). You don't need weights, just breathe out as you squat down and in as you stand back up. Don't pause in between, just let them flow into each other. Keep your back slightly rounded (not hunched), eyes straight ahead and make sure your knees don't go any further forward than your toes. And please, go easy on the pancetta...

No comments:

Post a Comment